Saturday, March 21, 2009

SMITH rocks!

(click to enlaRGE )

I just wrapped up a 5 day rock climbing trip to Smith Rocks State Park in Oregon along with my friends Scott, Dom, Laura, Jimmy, and Jeremy. It was such a blast pulling hard, scouting out some new areas and lines, eating well, and just laughing and conversating all together.

I arrived 10am Friday, March 13th at Portland Int'l Airport and impatiently waited SIX HOURS for Scott to arrive (he had a full work day)...we quickly got on our way, grabbing some grub @ Taco Del Mar before speeding to Redmond, where we found a sweet weekly special rate @ Motel 6 (w/ ALL the amenities: Internet, Cable TV, two Queen sized beds, Hot tub)... I felt a li'l guilty because the other guys coming were camping out in the cold, but they were cool about it- deciding to preserve our friendships and just call us 'wimps." The weather forcast called for 90% precipitation with temps in the 40's F, but feeling like the low 30's F... ...fortunately, for everyone's sake, the weatherpeople were high on crack because the next day arrived with sunny, T-shirt weather and an early start by our standards (8am)...we convened @ the parking lot with Dom, Laura, Jimmy, and Jeremy. It was really good to see everyone...although I wish Micah and Jared could've come too. We enjoyed 1 and half days climbing together, before Dom, Laura, Jimmy, and Jeremy headed back home; then Scott and I stayed and climbed til Wednesday.

Top Highlights for the trip:
Jimmy's Onsight of Five Easy Pieces, 5.12a as a WARMUP!
Scott's flash of his hardest TR @ Smith Honey Pot, 5.10a
My flash of my hardest trad lead Wartley's Revenge, 5.11b
Exploring a new area @ Smith- North Point (Thanks Tegan)
Starting my new Smith project Aggro Monkey, 5.13b
Climbing the 2 pitch trad classic Spiderman, 5.7 with Scott


(click to enlaRGE )
My high point (L) on Aggro Monkey 1st day on it.
Note: the 1st two clips were unclipped to reduce rope drag after subsequent clips were made

(click to enlaRGE )
Dom getting stOked. 1st day, 1st route of trip!

(click to enlaRGE )
Scott sending Phonecall from Satan, 5.9

(click to enlaRGE )
The immaculate Spiderman buttress...really good! The best moderate multipitch I've done.


( s-l-0-w) footage of my 3rd go redpoint of 5 Easy Pieces, 5.12a...again PROPS to Jimmy for the Onsight as well as Dom for flashing it a year ago.

GOD bless y'all,

NM

1 comment:

Micah Bryan Humphrey said...

Nick,
Awesome post, loved the pics and movie clip. Nice, nice, nice job on Wartley's Revenge, I remember seeing some dudes who worked for Metolius testing out falls on several types of gear on that climb while I watched in amazement from Heresy. I keep forgetting that you've got some impressive trad and sport climbs under your belt. Diversify your bonds!!
Anyway, I was bummed too that we didn't get a chance to hang but there is definitely the summer. I got you message and am glad to hear that you'll be here for the majority of the summer but I wish I could help out with the living situation. My new place is pretty small, just enough room for me and the cat, but I'll keep my ears and eyes open for roommate spots for you.
Talk to you soon bro. Keep it tight!

hit counter